Glenview School Age
In an enduring partnership of almost thirty years, the Glenview School Age program has offered before- and after-school care to children kindergarten through age 12 who are students of the Avoca School in District 37 of Glenview and Wilmette. The program is also in session during winter and spring school breaks.
It is located in a well secured school building with use of two gymnasiums, and is surrounded by two parks, a field and a blacktop area.
The school year program includes:
- Teacher-led clubs: teachers organize clubs in creative arts, cooking, entertainment, carpentry and construction and science and nature
- Homework time: a dedicated time (between 3 and 3:30 p.m.) is provided for homework completion assisted by qualified teachers
- Sports and indoor/outdoor recreation time: structured group games, outdoor play and free choice
- Author study, recreation time and structured play: for Kindergarteners, from 2 - 3 p.m, before joining the whole group
- Healthy snacks: children have the opportunity to plan the snack reinforcing the principles of healthy food choices and habits
For ten weeks in the summer, this is the base of a school age camp, a Jr. High camp, with a junior counselor in a training program.
- Sports – energetic, staff-led, safe sport activities including running bases, Boomball and Knock Out
- Creative arts – campers explore various media and tools to create their own masterpieces
- Performing arts – campers direct, write and perform skits
- Science and nature – campers discover science and nature in their backyard. They plant a garden, watch clouds and can learn how a volcano erupts, or some other burning question they are curious about.
- Swimming – recreational and interactive swimming three times a week at Harrer Pool located in Morton Grove
Campers enjoy trips once a week to surrounding sites including the Wild West, museums, bowling, water pars and the Lincoln Park Zoo.
Campers will get to experience summer barbeques, camp elections, Wacky Wednesday, Sunday on Monday, Mermaids and Pirates, family nights and the famous county fair.
Friday Fun Days
Gold Rush, Camp-opoly, Holiday Potluck and other activities take place on every Friday during camp.